"They told me I needed to start giving formula to my exclusively breastfed baby ??"

Lately, I've been hearing a common theme from my clients. They contact me frustrated and heartbroken because they were told during a well-child check that their exclusively breastfed baby was not gaining weight as is expected. And rather than referring the mother and baby to a Board Certified Lactation Consultant or "breastfeeding expert," their pediatrician/NP/or family physicians were recommending that these exclusively breastfed infants should be started on formula supplementation. Although these babies were petite, they were gaining weight at the typical rate of an exclusively breastfed baby. After my assessment of an entire feeding in their home, and assessment of each baby's developmental milestones (which were both excellent) I determined that we could help these babies gain a slightly higher percentage of weight, without the use of artificial baby milk (formula.) With some very minor changes in how these moms feed (maybe even a fun little trick or two that I share with my clients during private consultations) these babies had gained an excellent amount of weight at their next well-child check, and both moms accomplished it WITHOUT FORMULA 💪💪💪. On occasion, clients with newborns tell me that they were advised to "top off" with formula after each feeding in the hospital or shortly after returning home because their newborn's weight loss is at 8-10%  or that their bilirubin levels were at a moderate-high level, not requiring anything but good breastfeeding eating and pooping. 👇👇👇👇 In all of these cases, I was able to help these moms with a point by point care plan (always shared with the infant's PCP) using their own mother's milk...Why oh why would they recommend formula over mom's milk? Especially if mother's milk is readily available? as it was in all of these cases. 

Now, here's why this really gets me ultra frustrated! I knew these mothers had all faced many difficult issues in past breastfeeding situations, or early on with this baby, in order to finally arrive at comfortable and effective breastfeeding. These mothers wanted nothing more than to continue to exclusively breastfeed! Hearing their pediatric provider tell them to start giving formula without any other alternative was unnerving and threatened to destroy the confidence each of them had worked so hard to build.

It is very important for me to note here that there are circumstances where supplementation is absolutely necessary! Whenever possible, supplementing with the mother's own expressed milk is always the first choice. The second choice would be donor milk, and the last option would be an infant formula. Now...please understand that I always strive to support each mothers feeding choice and goals. You might find this crazy, but I don't really don't hate formula...I will support whatever choice for supplementing that a mother feels is best. If a mother is unable to provide her own milk and feels most comfortable supplementing with formula I will wholeheartedly support her in that decision or whatever they feel is best for their baby, and for their lifestyle they currently have. 

A big thanks to these sweet mommas who were dedicated to nourishing their babies and following our plan. It is a privilege for me to be included in helping a mom and baby with breastfeeding. I'm always grateful to be a part of helping them meet their feeding goals, and achieve their version of breastfeeding success!! To see a video of one creative ways we helped boost Maddie’s weight gain! Go to my YouTube Channel "Lactivist Activist": Maddie getting a yummy treat from her mommy. 

Even though Maddie's mom Stephanie was told by her pediatrician that her baby needed to start formula for weight gain, instead she believed in herself and her body's ability to help Maddie get enough milk to help her gain weight! 
So much so that this is what happened this past weekend.

👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

Maddie's momma was so happy to share her precious frozen milk with another mom and baby who were in need of breastmilk.

Zoey was proud of her mommy too!

Please don't think that I think that formula is never necessary. In some cases, it is just what is needed! But it is given many times when it was actually not necessary...This is what I am against...Medical professionals who are not fully educated in supporting a breastfeeding mother, who are unclear about when to intervene, and what is normal. I have several pediatricians who trust me and will send these mothers to me for breastfeeding help. Some may need to give some formula, some are doing much better than the pediatrician or PCP is able to assess during the short office visit where he doesn't have the time to spend observing a full breastfeeding. 

It stands to reason that the person who has years of experience and has achieved the International Board Certification as a Lactation Consultant should investigate any feeding concerns, possibly along with Occupational Therapists, Myofunctional Therapist, and Craniosacral Therapists. 

Moms...Always ask WHY? and then listen to your gut. Seek the RIGHT help! I'm always more than happy to help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why should I have a prenatal Lactation Consultation?

Some Common and Not So Common Causes of Low Milk Supply (with solutions that may be helpful)